- Online only
- Reduced price
Lockheed Vega 5 [EARLY ACCESS]
Wing42 is proud to present the latest extension to your Flight Simulator fleet: the Lockheed Vega 5! The Vega was a highly successful airplane in its time. It was flown by pioneers, daredevils, used by airlines and other corporate companies. We are bringing this legend of an aircraft to your Flight Simulator!
This addon is released in Early-Access. You can read all about the current status of development, our future plans and issues you might encounter with this aircraft.
The Vega is powered by:
The Lockheed Vega was an exceptional aircraft for it's era and won numerous records. For a prolonged period of time, she was the aircraft of choice for many famous and award-winning aviators. Among many others, the Vega was flown by Amelia Earhart, Willey Post, Jimmy Doolittle, George H Wilkins, Jimmie Mattern and many, many others. She was in service for Braniff Airways, Transcontinental and Western, Shell, Standard Oil, Air Mexico and other companies.
Wing42 brings this aircraft in exceptional detail into the flight simulator of your choice. The installer contains the Lockheed Vega 5 and Detroit Lockheed DL-1 for FSX, FSXSE and P3Dv4.x.
We decided to develop the Lockheed Vega very closely with the flightsim community. We want to make the Vega an unforgettable product that brings enjoyment to you for a long time in the future. By purchasing the Vega now, you will get full access to the aircraft in its current state and of course you will be eligible for the full version as soon as it's released!
With this purchase, you can immediately take her for a spin and check out the numerous features of this addon. We want to encourage you to criticize, make suggestions and help us hunt down those nasty bugs. In short: be part of the development process! We will be releasing updates for the Lockheed Vega continously and with these updates, the price of the Vega will gradually increase to reflect the added features and the hard work that goes into the product.
Wing42 and data security
Wing42 is dedicated to protect your personal data and the integrity of your operating system and simulation platform. With Wing42 you never have to sacrifice your privacy or your data security.
For further transparency, we included a list of all files that are included in our setup wizard in our Installation Guide. In this document, we also inform you in detail where these files are being installed to.
If you have any concerns regarding the safety of your data or the integrity of your PC, please don't hessitate to contact us!
FeaturesCurrent stand: version 0.85.0 (06-APR-2019)
Listed here are some of the features you can experience in the current build of the Aircraft. Please note that the list is by no means complete and some of the mentioned features might still have some issues.
- 3D model
- state-of-the-art 3d models with hand crafted and highly detailed 4k textures throughout the aircraft.
- Flight model
- Super-realistic flight dynamics and aircraft performance.
- Ground equipment
- Fully functional ground equipment with wheel chocks, battery cart, passenger stairs, fuel drums, tie downs and a baggage cart
- [NEW!]Interactive Ground Crew
- Dialog-driven ground crew interface with a life-like audible and visible feedback.
- Payload manager
- Functional payload manager for boarding/unboarding passengers, load cargo and fuel. The ground crew will first install all necessary equipment before loading the aircraft.
- Walkaround interface
- Interface to perform the mandatory walkaround of your aircraft to prevent problems during your flight.
- [NEW!]Sound effect
- The Wing42 Vega is utilising a custom sound engine to produce unique sounds for all controls in the cockpit and an audible ramp agent.
- Special effects
- Our friends at FSFX Packages supplied an extraordinaty set of special effects for thee Wing42 Lockheed Vega 5.[Click here for more information]
- System simulation
- Through the implementation of the Prop-o-Tronic physics engine, the Vega features an extensive simulation of various of the aircraft's systems with more in the works! Working examples:
- [NEW!] Fully functional Spark Advance Lever to control the timing of the ignition.
- [NEW!] Realistic engine start-up procedure, considering priming/mixture and proper ignition settings.
- Customized barometric system, simulating every component. I.e. Static port, alternate port, pitot tube, selector valve, vsi, asi, altimeter.
- Electrical system, running independant of the sim. Real physics calculations of voltage and current of all electrical components. Includes a working(!) fusebox with working(!) spares.
- Realistic vacuum system, based on real-world physics. Components include an engine-driven pump, venturi tube, the plumbing and connectors, vacuum source selector, pressure relief valve (with simulated spring forces), real-physic gyros in all vacuum-driven instruments, etc.
- Real-world physics to calculate the propagation and dissipation of heat throughout the engine.
- Super-detailed oil system, with each component being simulated individually.
- Engine vibrations with calculated frequencies and amplitudes depending on the various conditions of the engine.
- The 8-day-clock actually needs to be wound up at least every 8 days to keep the time.
- Fully functioning and responsive wobble pump.
- Instument needle physics: Every single needle on the instrument panel moves based on individually calculated physics.
- You'll find the aircraft exactely how you left it. Except for the battery that might be drained if you left on the lights.
- Great Animations
- We take great pride in the custom animations of all parts of the aircraft. You'll experience the airframe shaking when starting the engine, loose parts will vibrate, and the handles in the cabin will swing with the movement of the aircraft.
- Intuitive Interaction
- Use the mouse as you would move your hands in the cockpit. While simple switches are still operated with a simple mouse-click, we took great care in providing you an immersive experience with the controls. The real-world wobble pump was operated by moving the lever continously forwards and backwards - to operate the wobble pump in the Wing42 Vega you click the lever and drag it forwards and bankwards while keeping the mouse button pressed. The majority of controls in the cockpit follow a similar logic, mimicing the movement of the pilot's hand in the real cockpit.
- Great performance
- Despite all the detail in both apperance and simulation, the Lockheed Vega performs exceptionally well, even on low-end computers.
- The Lockheed Vega currently comes in many different liveries and variations:
- Lockheed factory default livery (NC14236)
- Fictional Wing42 livery (NC5542)
- Shell No.7 livery (NC13705)
- Braniff Airways livery (NC8495)
- Green "military" paintjob
- Jimmy Mattern's "Eagle" (NR869E)
- Mirow Air Service (NC162W)
- Fictional "The Sky Lounge" livery (N5KY)
- [NEW!]Privately owned DL-1 with a metal fuselage (NC12288)
- [NEW!]Army transport Y1C-12 Detroit Lockheed (AC 31-405)
- [NEW!]Transcontinental and Western (NC624E)
- [NEW!]Mexican Transportes Aéreos de Chipas S.A. (double registration XA-BAW / XA-BKG)
Realism and historicity with no exceptions
With the Lockheed Vega, we at Wing42 strive to provide you an immersive and historically accurate flight simulator experience with no compromises! The aircraft is designed as it was originally flown in the 1920s. And that means unreliable instruments, no radio, no navigational equipment, no GPS. That makes this aircraft very challenging to operate in your simulator, but it also gives you an incredibly rewarding flying experience only few flightsim addons can provide.
All custom system simulations are calculated using our own real-world physics engine "Prop-o-Tronic". Take the vacuum components as an example. Within the Addons DLL file the pressure differential between the interacting components is individually calculated, each part influencing the outcome. Tiny leaks in the connectors will cause a pressure drop in the system, which limits the airflow that hits the vanes of the gyros of DG/AH/T&B, which in turn may cause them to slow down due to the friction loss in the bearings, which might result in a more sluggish instrument behavior. All these calculations are constantly being performed under-the-hood, based on real physics!
In every future update, we will extend this level of detail to the various systems of the Vega with the goal of creating the most realistic and immersive experience of operating an aircraft from the Golden Era of Aviation!
While the Wing42 Vega addon already provides a fully functioning aircraft with extensive customizations and gimmicks many other commercial aircraft addons currently don't provide, it is not quite finished yet. Over the course of the next months we will be releasing a number of updates you'll get access to. Among some other things, here are the most pressing issues we will adress:
- Engine simulation
- While the ground work is done for many components of the P&W R-1340 Wasp engine, there's still a lot to do. E.g.:
- [DONE!] Ignition - Implementation of spark advance (timing of the ignition), spark plug fouling and the booster coil.
- [DONE!] Carburetor - Realistic simulation of carburetor and mixture
- Engine sounds
- The engine sounds of the aircraft are not up to our high standards yet. A custom sound set will be included in the next update to version 0.90!
- Even more variants!
- While we include a sneak-a-peek of our upcoming "Winnie Mae", the aircraft is not fully functional yet. The completed Winnie Mae will be part of update 0.90.
- Wear, tear & failures
- While provisions have been put in place to allow components of the aircraft to fail, currently no major failures (other than a blown fuse or clogged static port) are implemented just yet. This however will change soon!
- A paintkit is currently NOT provided with the Vega, because we are anticipating having to change parts of the texture maps. We are planning on releasing a comprehensive paintkit for all you repainters out there!
Just like the Software itself, it's documentation is also work-in-progress. The Lockheed Vega comes with the aforementioned "Installation Guide", the "Simulation Manual" and a (addmittedly anachronistic) checklist. Together, these documents provide you with all necessary information to succesfully install and operate this aircraft. More content is added to the documentation with every new update.
[NEW!]Included in this add-on is a 70-page e-book about the history of the Lockheed Aircraft Company and the Lockheed Vega in particular. The book is written by Tom Harnish and is full of intersting history and inspiring stories, a great read
You can have a look at the current Simulation Manual over here (last update: 06/04/2019).
- one pilot
- 28 ft 6 in (8.7 m)
- 41 ft (12.5 m)
- Empty weight:
- 2,565 lb (1,163 kg)
- 4,500 lb (2,041 kg)
- Pratt & Whitney Wasp R-1340 C, 450 hp (335.6 kW)
- Fuel quantity:
- 96 gal. (363 l)
- Cruise speed:
- 165 m.p.h.
- Max. speed:
- 185 m.p.h.
- ~700 mi / ~608 nmi
- ~15,000 ft.
- Max. climb:
- ~1,200 f.p.m.
The Vega on YouTube
You can find more videos of our Lockheed Vega 5 on the Wing42 YouTube channel!
|Operating System||MS Windows 7/8/10|
|Processor||Quad core CPU ~3GHz|
|Graphics card||min. 512 MB|
|HD||~740 MB per installation (subject to change!)|
|Download size||~406 MB (subject to change!)|